Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Revelations and Recommendations

Revelation #1: Copenhagen is a completely different city on a bike.

My roommate's mother has graciously loaned me her bike for the remainder of my stay in Denmark and as dramatic as it sounds, I feel as though I am living a different life. I also feel a bit strung out after my first day biking through Copenhagen traffic, but give me a week to improve my form, and the immersion process will be complete. It's amazing how a couple of wheels and throwing caution to the wind can make me feel like a fine, upstanding member of Danish society.

With no class and an endless list of midterm papers to write, I decided to bike to the library from my apartment. Ten minutes into the thirty minute ride, it became apparent that I am grossly out of shape and that this new mode of transportation will do wonders for my lazy legs. I arrived without a hitch and spent the morning writing papers in

Recommendation #1: The Black Diamond Library

It doesn't matter how much time I spend studying in this place, I still have to pinch myself as I take in this view:



Silence, solitude, and according to my French teacher Lise, a notorious hot-spot for picking up dates. Apparently this little detail is well known in Copenhagen, and I was reminded of my first week in Denmark. Touring the library, a classmate said, "This is a library? I thought it was just a hangout for ridiculously beautiful people."

I plan to obliterate any potential distractions by riding my bike to said destination and entering the reading room looking like I've lain down on the ground and rolled my way from Sjælør to Christiansborg. Sweaty, winded, disoriented. Not a chance.

Feeling smug after my first successful journey, I left the library on time for my next destination: my French tutor's apartment on Gothersgade and Kronprinsessegade. I ended up neck deep in Østerbro. This little detour knocked me down a couple notches and facilitated some quality time on a street corner with a bike and a map. For now I suppose I’ll just have to be satisfied with looking like a tourist…that someone trusted with a bike.

Revelation #2: Danish sausage is NOT the same as Italian sausage.

I don’t venture away from chicken often. Most of my home-made meals in Denmark have been some variation of chicken and vegetables with rice or pasta. I thought I’d spice things up with some Italian sausage on Monday night, and instead I came face to face with this:



Medisterpølse! Absolutely the farthest thing from Italian sausage you can possibly imagine, but when served correctly, a very traditional Danish meal. I’d place it somewhere between a hotdog and a breakfast sausage; not very tasty when served oriental style with vegetables. Problem: I now have more medisterpølse stir-fry than I know what to do with. Lesson: don’t go grocery shopping without a game plan. Stay ALERT when perusing the packaged meats. Stick to chicken, lady.

Recommendation #2: Lars Von Trier’s “Idiotern” (The Idiots)



A group of people live together in a house in the Copenhagen suburbs and defy societal norms by spending their time “spassing”. They take trips around the city pretending to be mentally retarded with the intent to shock and disturb, a twisted game of “sticking it to the man”. Also known as Dogme #2, it is the second in Von Trier’s films made in compliance with the Dogme ’95 Manifesto, a set of production rules including only shooting with handheld cameras, no filters, no sound editing. A very organic production process. I very Danish idea.

Recommendation #3: KENT

Swedish pop rock recommended by a Danish musician. A recc to the second power. Jeg kan godt lide…

1 comment:

S. Harper Ann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.